Advertisement

Pumpernickel

topic posted Mon, May 31, 2004 - 12:54 PM by  Beverly
Share/Save/Bookmark
Anybody got a good pumpernickel recipe, or hints for how to adapt existing recipes? I especially want to make pumpernickel bagels but I figure I'll start by making the bread and adapting my bagel recipe from there. Seems like every recipe I see online is for a bread machine, which just ain't my style.
posted by:
Beverly
Seattle
Advertisement
  • bread.allrecipes.com/az/Pump...adII.asp

Pumpernickel sure isn't any easy recipe to find in cookbooks. I even thought they could be found in some really old ones that go back a few decades. The above link is a recipe that is on allrecipes.com. Of the two listed on that site, this one doesn't use a bread machine. Good luck with the part that asks you to knead..yikes.

I found one other recipe in a James Beard book I have. I'm not sure where you can find pumpernickel flour but here is the recipe for it nevertheless.

Makes 2 loaves

1 cup cornmeal
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    1/2 cup beer
    2 packages (2 tablespoons) active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 cup warm water
    2 cups pumpernickel flour
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons oil
    3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)

Combine the cornmeal with the boiling water, mix well, and add the beer. Let the mixture rest until it comes to room temperature (put your finger in to make sure). Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water and let stand until it swells. Put the cornmeal mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment, and add the pumpernickel flour, cocoa, salt, oil, and yeast mixture. With the mixer on at its lowest speed, knead the dough until well combined. Gradually add the all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until you have a firm, evenly textured dough.

Remove the dough to floured work surface and shape it into a ball. Clean your bowl, butter it, and then place the dough in it, turning to coat all sides. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot, until doubled in bulk.

Punch the dough down, let it rest for 2 or 3 minutes, then knead by hand this time for a good 5 minutes. Shape the dough into 2 free-form loaves and place on a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal, and let rise, covered, until double in bulk. Bake the loaves at 425F for about 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and continue to bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes. When done, the loaves will have a dark crust and will sound hollow when tapped on the top and bottom with the knuckles. Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly on racks before slicing.

Ok, now I want to make some of this. lol :) I would love to hear how yours turns out. I have not tried making any other breads than basic white bread yeast.
    • Thanks! I wonder what pumpernickel flour is...maybe dark rye, since I don't see any other rye flour mentioned. I found some at the King Arthur Flour site (a great source for baking supplies, btw): shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp

And I did manage to find one other recipe:
      foodgeeks.com/recipes/recipe.phtml

I'll try 'em both and let you know how they come out!
      • OK, so far I've tried the foodgeeks.com recipe that I posted above, and was happy with the results - very dense but not heavy, sliced well, good flavor. I was a little surprised that the dark color came from unsweetened cocoa! King Arthur Flour has another sort of darkener that I want to try as well.

Oh, and I used regular old dark rye flour for it. I'm going to order some pumpernickel flour for next time to see how that's different.

Don't you wish there was a way we could post samples for folks to taste? :)
        • Unsu...

The links you posted are great! Thanks for sharing with all of us. :) How did the Pumpernickel turn out? Did you ever find out what Pumpernickel flour was?

• The word "pumpernickel" is confusing, because sometimes people use it to describe a dark rye bread, and sometimes it's used to describe a very dense whole-grain bread made with whole unmilled rye and other grain kernels.
            • Oh thank goodness - I thought I was the only confused one. :)

I got sidetracked trying to recreate a fabulous "hearty grain" bread I had at a bakery/cafe in La Conner, WA - they gave me the ingredient list but not the proportions or anything else so I have been experimenting with that (version #2 today, this time with sunflower seeds!). Will get back to the pumpernickel research next, after I remember to order the flour!
        • Me again - finally did the pumpernickel bake-off of the James Beard recipe vs the foodgeeks one. I have great respect for Mr. Beard, but I must say that his recipe was by far the inferior of the two (or at least as it manifested in my kitchen!). It came out VERY salty, and in fact i wonder if there's a typo in that recipe since 2 Tbl is a lot of salt even for a two-loaf recipe. But even beyond that, the cornmeal gave it a sort of weird texture, and I found the dough to be pretty hard to work in general, especially compared to the other recipe. The foodgeeks loaves again came out dense and dark and very tasty.

Oh, and I had ordered pumpernickel flour and some rye sour additive for this experiment, but of course it arrived the afternoon _after_ I had finished baking. So there will be one more report after I get around to using those. :)

Recent topics in "Baking (Breads and Pastry)"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Revisiting a fun cookbook Phil 0 September 12, 2014
younger women looking for older men Unsubscribed 0 April 2, 2014
Younger Women Looking For Older Men ageless 0 April 24, 2013
H People Meet Dating & Social Site for Singles and friends with H Unsubscribed 0 March 21, 2013